Picture of What is your typical day like?

What is your typical day like?

Picture of Katie
Picture of William
4 responses

Leon J. asked during the live chat Find out about our Level 3 Apprenticeship Schemes! to Network Rail

Category: Day to Day

Date asked: Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Last reviewed: Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Picture of Katie B.

Katie B.

S&T Level 3 apprentice

Hi, I have worked with the P-Way teams and an S&T team, can safely say although you may be doing the same tasks, no 2 days are ever the same. This week for example, i started at 8pm, i was given the list of maintenance that was needed to be completed, but whilst out completing the work, we received calls to say there was a fault. in this instance, we will stop what we are doing an attend the fault as this takes priority over maintenance. Shift patterns depend on your depot, my depot run on 10 hour shifts, but some locally run on 8 or even 12 hour days.

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Picture of William M.

William M.

Apprentice rail maintenance technician

Typically once arriving at depot we will load up the vans with the correct equipment for the day, we will then travel to the designated place of work and receive a safety briefing there, once we have signed the paperwork we will then begin work (in my case on the patrolling team this will be inspections and general maintenance) before returning to the depot and unloading the equipment. Receiving a debrief and returning home.

Leon J.

Both sound very eventful and interesting. I like the fact there is not much repetition over the working week. Thank you for the insight.

Picture of William M.

William M.

Apprentice rail maintenance technician

Oh completely and due to the size of the company its possible to move around within your field, currently I'm with the patrollers however next week ill be working with the P-way gangs performing larger scale maintenance.

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?