Picture of Tell me about your biggest challenge in the last 3 months?

Tell me about your biggest challenge in the last 3 months?

Picture of Matthew
1 response

Anonymous asked a question to Matthew T.

Category: Open positions

Date asked: Tuesday, March 15, 2022

Last reviewed: Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Picture of Matthew T.

Matthew T.

Ecologist

Network Rail have a Worksafe Procedure that promotes a culture of challenging unsafe behaviour, whether this be personal safety, the safety of others or the safety of the environment. This culture empowers individuals to act. On a recent site visit for a project that had been months in the planning I came across several environmental risks as a result of unsafe behaviour and I knew I had to challenge it. Now as it happened, the entire team of 15 people were gathered around the team leader for a brief just as I finished my site tour. This is where I faced my biggest challenge of the last three months. After nearly two years in lockdown and as somewhat of an introvert, I was going to have to face a tight knit group of 15 (new to me) colleagues and tell them that some of their work practices were not up to scratch! Despite my trepidation, the culture at Network Rail means I feel empowered to act in circumstances such as this. I spoke with the team, my comments were taken on board and the issues I raised were put right. There's an enormous sense of personal achievement from overcoming challenges. I've faced many challenges since joining Network Rail and overcome many personal hurdles and its all because of the culture here, it's unlike anywhere I have worked before.

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?