Picture of Ive been working on the railway as Revenue Control Officer, do I need to be Rail Incident Officer before I can be a MOM

Ive been working on the railway as Revenue Control Officer, do I need to be Rail Incident Officer before I can be a MOM

Picture of Scott
1 response

Additional information

I've applied for this role in times past but was not selected for an interview, what training or role do I have to be in before I can be a MOM

Anonymous asked a question to Operations

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Last reviewed: Wednesday, May 11, 2022

Picture of Scott D.

Scott D.

Operational Incident Controller

Hi, If you research the role it would advise the following. Getting In * A good general education is useful and you are likely to need at least English and Maths at National 5. * You complete the initial application online and if successful, you complete some online tests. If you meet the benchmark, you have an interview. * You must be at least 18 years old. * You have to pass a medical examination and alcohol and drug tests. * You need to be physically fit, with good eyesight, satisfactory colour vision and good hearing. * You will require a satisfactory criminal record check from Disclosure Scotland to show that you are suitable for this type of work. Contact Disclosure Scotland for details on the type you would need. * You will undergo regular drug and alcohol tests to make sure you are not under any influence during working hours – Network Rail have a zero tolerance policy. * A driving licence may be necessary in order to get to work at any time of day or night. What Does it Take? You need to be: * observant and thorough * responsible * able to remain calm under pressure * able to analyse situations and make decisions * aware of the importance of health and safety * able to understand and follow rules and regulations * able to concentrate for long periods.  You need to have: * good communication skills * IT and numeracy skills * the ability to work as part of a team as well as alone * the ability to carry out more than one task at a time. The primary responsibility is to minimise the disruption to the rail network through incidents you are called too. To be a pillar of excellence where safety is concerned. You are also the eye and ears on the ground reporting back to control. You need to accurate, factual and precise. Key decisions will be made in the information you relay so there is no room for error. Calm, controlled and confident. They may be a situation where people will be looking to you for guidance so a understanding of what can or could be done is key. Hope that helps.

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?