Picture of Become an apprentice of project manager

Become an apprentice of project manager

Picture of Bradley
17 responses

Additional information

Previously I was a manger in the bank and I would like to change my career to project management in public sector and do not have any experience this field. I am highly interested in your company as I joined a workshop in Bridges Programme in Glasgow. What should I do?

Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Luna S. asked during the live chat Network Rail Shared Services Apprenticeship - Learn more about the scheme and Shared Services to Network Rail

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Thursday, February 22, 2024

Last reviewed: Thursday, February 22, 2024

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

Hey Luna - I'm Brad, nice to meet you! Very good question, it's great to see you have a passion in a specific area and luckily for us Network Rail are continuously trying to improve themselves, and that means a lot of projects! I am unsure what is being advertised right now but if you are interested I would recommend going to our website, specifically the careers section. Here's a link - https://www.networkrail.co.uk/careers/

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Luna S.

Thank you Bradley, if I would like to become project assistant, is there any essential skills or qualifications I needed?

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

In my experience, you do not have to have any project related qualifications to be a project assistant, although having them will definitely help you in your day to day work! To me, the project assistant role gives you the opportunity to learn about projects before progressing into a project management role, I have worked with people who have completed any necessary qualifications during their time as a project assistant, allowing them to progress further. In terms of skills, organisation is key as a project assistant needs to keep track of many different projects involving many different things. Hope this helps!

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

Any other questions I can help you with, Luna? :)

Luna S.

Thank you so much! Should I apply an operation role to give me more knowledge for the services and procedures in NR to further development to project assistance/manager?

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

Another very good question Luna, you will learn about the services and procedures within NR in your day to day work :) If you applied for project based roles on track, you will have to learn about the different maintenance and engineering processes and how they work If you applied for project roles based in HR, you will have to learn about how NR manage employees I guess what I am trying to say is wherever you apply, to really support you in doing a fantastic job, you will have to learn about that area (to understand how to improve it! :) Hope this helps

Luna S.

Thank you so much for your sharing. Those information is very useful to me to apply a job in your company.

Picture of Hamidur R.

Hamidur R.

Resourcing Business Partner

You welcome Luna, i wish you best of luck in your application!

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

Take care Luna :)

Peter E.

Hi I studied civil engineering in the university, am I eligible to apply for the project management appreciate?

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

Hey Peter, my name is Brad - nice to meet you (virtually). In my opinion, as you have a degree, I do not see any harm in applying :)

Peter E.

If I understand your response, I can apply for apprenticeship in project management regardless of my degree in civil engineering

Did you find this discussion helpful?