Picture of What skills do you consider the most important to the role of an admin assistant and why

What skills do you consider the most important to the role of an admin assistant and why

Picture of Elysia
Picture of Ruby
28 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Ruby C. asked during the live chat Network Rail Shared Services Apprenticeship - Learn more about the scheme and Shared Services to Network Rail

Category: Career Advice

Date asked: Thursday, February 22, 2024

Last reviewed: Thursday, February 22, 2024

Picture of Elysia B.

Elysia B.

Service Excellence Team Manager

Hi Ruby - hope you're well. I would say organisation is key. You can work your way around any problem if you take an organised and composed approach.

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Picture of Ruby C.

Ruby C.

Okay thank you. What are the biggest challenges in the role?

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

Hey Ruby - I'm Brad, I completed the apprenticeship end of 2021 and worked as an admin for a year or so after that. The biggest challenges for me would have been managing a diverse workload, always having multiple things to do but prioritising which ones to do first!

Picture of Ruby C.

Ruby C.

Thanks very much. As an Apprentice, what do you enjoy most about being at Network Rail?

Picture of Spencer B.

Spencer B.

Business

The best thing about Network Rail is the culture. When you come into the office there is always a positive energy around and it really makes you enjoy coming into work!

Picture of Ruby C.

Ruby C.

That sounds great. Do you have any advice on how to succeed in the organisation and build a long term career?

Picture of Bev M.

Bev M.

Data Changes Team Manager

Hi Ruby, love your questions! As long as you are hard working, focussed and willing to learn you will do well. Opportunities are always available and with support of your line manager and the creation of a personal development plan you can realise your aspirations.

Picture of Spencer B.

Spencer B.

Business

Get involved with as much as you can! Ask LOADS of questions and just stay positive!

Picture of Elysia B.

Elysia B.

Service Excellence Team Manager

I would say take advantage of every learning opportunity and soak up as much information as you can. Have a positive mindset and s strong work ethic. Ask questions, be curious :)

Picture of Ruby C.

Ruby C.

Thanks so much all of you, that's really helpful. How would you describe the ideal candidate for these roles?

Picture of Spencer B.

Spencer B.

Business

Someone who has a willingness to learn and a good work ethic! For me, I found that when i started to become more confident in my role, my manager allowed me to take on more responsibilities, working with critical suppliers, presenting meetings and overseeing Projects. So, if you want to progress in your career and want to learn more about the business world, this is the ideal apprenticeship, and the perfect employer to do that with!

Picture of Ruby C.

Ruby C.

Thanks that's perfect. What would be the first part of the role once I've started, would it be a period of training first or straight into an operating team?

Did you find this discussion helpful?