Picture of Hi, I am Ava, would there be more likelihood for someone with more experience to get the apprenticeship?

Hi, I am Ava, would there be more likelihood for someone with more experience to get the apprenticeship?

Picture of Spencer
23 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

Ava E. asked during the live chat Network Rail Shared Services Apprenticeship - Learn more about the scheme and Shared Services to Network Rail

Category: Work experience

Date asked: Thursday, February 22, 2024

Last reviewed: Thursday, February 22, 2024

Picture of Spencer B.

Spencer B.

Business

I would say that Network Rail looks more for people who have a willingness to learn and grow in their career. In terms of experience, things like customer service or a background knowledge of Excel ect are helpful but honestly, I think if you are determine to achieve and are willing to learn, then you've definitely got a good chance! :)

Thursday, February 22, 2024

Ava E.

Thank you for responding, in school I have had a lack of experience learning how to use Excel, but this is currently a skill I am trying to improve.

Picture of Spencer B.

Spencer B.

Business

Honestly, My excel knowledge was VERY basic when i first started! But, once you get settled into your role, you will pick up skills overtime, there is no need to rush, and there are some people on different teams who are geniuses at Excel who i just begged to teach me!!! :)

Ava E.

Thank you for the help Spencer. Adding onto my question, is there any specific characteristics that you are trying to find in a person who is looking into this apprenticeship ?

Picture of Bradley M.

Bradley M.

Area Support Analyst

Hey Ava, my names Brad - honestly if you are hungry to learn and "be a sponge" then Network Rail is the right place for you. If you treat everyday as a school day then you will continuously learn and those are the type of people we would love at Network Rail. If we are all continuously learning then we can work together as a team to strive for perfection. Of course other qualities are important but I believe the building block for them all is wanting to learn. Hope this helps!

Ava E.

That is brilliant to hear, as I want to adapt my skill set in all aspects of business. As I know that college helps students towards bus fare and provides them with a pass, that is available to use in all of Greater Manchester, would this be the case for this apprenticeship ?

Picture of Hamidur R.

Hamidur R.

Resourcing Business Partner

Hi Ava that great to hear! in terms of some of the travel benefits we have, we offer 75% off rail seasons tickets to support people to get to and from work and also offer 75% off leisure travel

Ava E.

As someone who may not live as close as other apprenticeships, that is amazing to hear. Would all apprentices be working together or is there set individual tasks?

Picture of Elysia B.

Elysia B.

Service Excellence Team Manager

Hi, in terms of the apprenticeship you would be assigned to different teams however you would all work on the same floor and in close proximity so you can still speak with one another and support each other through your learning. As part of the apprenticeship we hold 'check in' sessions purely for apprentices as we want to make sure you all continue to have a support network and build your relationships :)

Ava E.

Thank you for answering, Elysia, I can really see that this apprenticeship holds many different opportunities for me to grow and develop my knowledge and myself as a person. If I was offered an interview with NR, is there any specific attire that I would be expected to wear?

Picture of Spencer B.

Spencer B.

Business

The general standard is just Smart/Casual :)

Ava E.

Okay thank you Spencer. If offered a place, and I complete the apprenticeship, is there the possibility of following this up and working with Network Rail in the future ?

Did you find this discussion helpful?