Picture of Hi Joyce, I am an international student. How do I get in the track team at network rail? Any tips?

Hi Joyce, I am an international student. How do I get in the track team at network rail? Any tips?

Picture of Joyce
6 responses
Start new discussionBrowse other categories

ELOCHUKWU C. asked a question to Joyce B.

Category: Internal career mobility

Date asked: Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Last reviewed: Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Picture of Joyce B.

Joyce B.

Track Maintenance Apprentice

Hi Elochukwu, there are various ways to get into a track team at Network Rail. I got in through the Level 3 Apprenticeship scheme (which I believe is currently closed at the moment - you can register interest for the November 2024 intake online). However there are a range of disciplines that work on track such as S&T and E&P. In order to access any of these i'd suggest reading up on what they do and finding out what you may be more interested in doing. Apply for as many operative roles within your area, starting at an operative level will provide you with all the basics and knowledge you will need for the job and if you chose to progress further as a technician, team leader etc :)

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

ELOCHUKWU C.

I worked with Dubai metro as a track technician for 2.5 years before moving to the UK to further my education in logistics. I have the experience. Just hoping it counts for something. Do they sponsor international students?

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Picture of Joyce B.

Joyce B.

According to our website "Network Rail offers sponsorship where the requirements of the Home Office rules are met for a Skilled Worker. Should you require a visa to work in the UK or would like further information, you can visit the gov.uk website for more information". Previous experience is great and may come in handy with situations/jobs you will face on track, however we use sentinel as a card and competency system, this includes Personal Track Safety and all other competencies that will be relevant to the discipline you work under. So in your case you may/will have to be trained again under the railway standards and tolerances that we use before undertaking/being in charge of any work you may have had experience in.

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

ELOCHUKWU C.

Oh nice. I googled the sentinel card and realised I can’t get it as an individual. So firstly I have to secure a job in the rail sector as a track technician. Is there any other qualification or certification that’s essential that I need to get before applying asides my degree and experience, that will help my application.

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Picture of Joyce B.

Joyce B.

Yup! working under Network Rail will provide you sponsorship for a sentinel card. Any qualification or certification required will be detailed in the "About the role" section within the job advertisement

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

ELOCHUKWU C.

Thanks a lot for your time. I sent a request to you on LinkedIn. Just Incase I have any more enquiries. Please.

Tuesday, June 4, 2024

Did you find this discussion helpful?