Picture of What would a typical day look like for an S&T apprentice once I've finished my initial training period?

What would a typical day look like for an S&T apprentice once I've finished my initial training period?

Picture of Joe
Picture of James
4 responses

Sam F. asked during the live chat Find out about our Level 3 Apprenticeship Schemes! to Network Rail

Category: Role Description

Date asked: Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Last reviewed: Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Picture of Joe B.

Joe B.

Apprentice

During your training you will sit your Personal Track Safety (PTS) course which allows you to go on track. Then once the initial Westwood training is over you will go to your depot and start working.

Wednesday, February 9, 2022

Picture of James A.

James A.

Apprentice

You could be working days shifts or night shifts but once you have had your depot briefing & have been allocated a team, you can start to get used to the S&T lifestyle. Due to there being no red zone working anymore - going on track when trains are running - we can only go out for faults which could be any time of the day or planned maintenance which is usually at night. And planned maintenance can range from cleaning a signal lens to taking apart a points machine to make adjustments. Though maintenance is planned and should be smooth, there can be times where it doesn't go to plan, don't panic, as an apprentice you shouldn't need to panic.

Sam F.

Thanks James, can you shed any light on the sort of training modules a maintenance engineering technician (S&T) would be covering

Picture of James A.

James A.

Apprentice

General Maintenance of Signalling equipment. But there are basic components and more complex components, obviously you're taught the simpler stuff first.

This discussion is closed, so no new comments can be added.

Did you find this discussion helpful?